Click Here To Return Back To The RRC Home Page
Going Places
International Students

Social Insurance Number

If you have a Work Permit (or have an on-campus job), you will also need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to give to your Employer.

What is the Social Insurance Number (SIN)?

The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number used in the administration of various Canadian government programs. You will require a SIN to work in Canada or to receive government benefits.

Apply in person at a Service Canada Centre (location and maps available online at: ) or you can go to the Winnipeg Centre location at 391 York Avenue.

You must have your original documents with you:

Work Permit (issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada)


Study Permit (issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada) AND a contract of employment (job offer letter signed by both parties) from the learning institution or from an employer on campus.